Monday, September 17, 2012

1, 2, skip a few, 99, 100!!!!!

I headed to Holiday Beach today to see what was around, since I didn`t get out to the Hawk Festival this weekend.  During this time of year, there is always an official counter on the tower.  Before climbing up to the tower, I walked around the edge of the trout pond to see what was in Big Creek....lots of GBH's, Great Egrets and Mute Swans.  There were some ducks that were too far off to identify.  The thrill of this walk, however, was the Green Heron (life bird 99) that jumped up into a tree maybe 20' in front of me and was quite the model!

I have lots of pics of this guy....sorry to bore you :)







This picture is actually a different bird (I think) in a different location from the other pics.


I was thrilled with this encounter!!  I then headed up to the Hawk Tower and met a young U of W student that I told about this bird and that he was number 99 on my list.  He then pointed out a Pied-billed Grebe in the marsh, quite a way out, but there was a scope on the tower, so I got a good look at it....bird 100!  Thanks Jeremy!!

Here a couple other shots I got today that I liked...
Great Blue Heron taking off...looks more like jumping for joy :)

Add caption

I was hoping this was a Hairy, but I think it is a Downy...

Snake swimming in Big Creek

Sunning Turtle
What a great day!!
PS: Brian, did I beat you to 100? ;)

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff! Green Heron was one of my sparkbirds... that and a Tufted Titmouse. Its fun to get the life list to a multiple of 100. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete