Monday, August 22, 2011

Pics from Northern Michigan

These are my favourite bird pictures from our recent trip to Alpena and Mackinac Island.  I saw a few other life birds (see previous posts), but I didn't get pictures of everything.  There are also a couple pictures of ducks that I haven't identified yet...I will post those when I figure them out :)  As always, if I have misidentified a bird, please let me know....
Bald Eagle soaring over the Alpena Harbour

Turkey Vulture...literally about 10 feet in front of where I was standing!

Double Crested Cormorants, Mackinac Island

Double crested Cormorants, Lake Huron, off Mackinac City

Ring billed Gull, Mackinac Island

Double crested Coromorant, Mackinac Island

Spotted Sandpiper, Alpena Harbour

Ring billed Gull, Mackinac Island.  Have you seen one perched in a tree before?  I hadn't :)

Common Mergansers, Mackinac Island

Turkey Vulture, soaring over Alpena Harbour

Caspian Tern, Bayview Park, Alpena

Gull towing a dead fish by its entrails :S, Alpena Harbour

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Not too often do you see a turkey vulture pose like that.
    Congrats on the lifer in Ottawa! Where did you go birding while you were here? I hope you will write a post about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't to specifically go birding while in Ottawa.....we went to Pink Lake and the Mackenzie King Estate. I saw one new bird that day, but I have yet to identify it. We also went to Brewer Pond (more to catch frogs for the kids). The nuthatch I saw while sitting on my brother's deck....he is steps from the Rideau in Old Ottawa South. I will post soon, but it will be pretty short :)

    ReplyDelete