Monday, October 8, 2012

Some Catch-up and a Couple Lifers :)

Now that it is swim season again, it means more visits to Blenheim and more walks.  Last year, I drove once a week, a friend drove once a week and so did my husband.  This year, I drive two days a week, so two outings a week, weather permitting.

On September 25, 2012, I walked with Jen, a friend from Blenheim, down the Erieau Marsh Trail. I didn`t see any new birds that day, but there was a rather large mixed flock of birds feeding on the ground.  The sound of the birds was almost deafening!  There were so many on the ground and in the surrounding trees, we were amazed!  We could make out Red-winged Blackbirds, Starlings and Brown-headed Cowbirds for sure.  Jen wanted to get close to see what had been spilled on the ground to attract so many birds, but when they took off and we got to look, it was evident they were just feeding on seeds from the grasses and weeds.  Here are a few pics to show the number of birds present....
Mixed flock on the ground.
The next sequence shows how fast the birds cleared the area into the shelter of nearby trees.  These pictures were taken one after the other very quickly...maybe a total of 10-15 seconds from start to finish!  There were way more on the ground than we even realized!  We were amazed!










On September 27, 2012, Jen and I went for a walk again, but this time, she took me to a new spot...W.D. MacIntosh Woodlot.  This wood lot is on school grounds, maintained with trails throughout it.  It is a beautiful little wood lot!  It isn`t very big and we walked around it several times before leaving because the mosquitoes were biting Jen a lot.  While in the woodlot, we saw some Turkey Vultures overhead, some Blue Jays, Robins and Golden-crowned Kinglet (life bird!).  Because it was getting dark, my attempts at pics of the GCKI didn`t turn out.

My other life bird this week was in my own backyard....I love when that happens!  I was outside on the patio on September 29 enjoying the wonderful fall weather when I saw a rather large woodpecker on the tree.  I grabbed my binoculars and at first could only see the head and bill.  By the bill alone, I thought I was finally getting my first glimpse of a Hairy Woodpecker, but I was wrong.  It was a juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker...even better!
Juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker!


I have one more outing to catch up on before the new week starts....I love all the time I have had for birding this fall!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice finding new spots? It's that time of year for the black bird flocks - that was quite the group. Congrats on the woodpecker lifer! You'll have to come out this way for the Hairy Woodpecker... nice to know we have something out here that is more common than by you where all the warblers and migrants pass in such numbers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding new spots...especially ones that aren't really busy, people wise. We are often in the Brantford area (my daughter swims in the area a lot)...I will have to get some pointers from you next time we are up that way. :D

      Delete